Chat app design and development with Flutter just got easier. Unlock new tools and sample apps in this major update to the Stream Chat Flutter SDK.
•Published: Mar 16, 2021
With Flutter’s growing popularity for efficient cross-platform app development, Stream is excited to announce the release of our completely overhauled Flutter SDK for Stream Chat. The new SDK version and sample apps are designed to make it easier than ever to explore, integrate, and customize the Stream Chat SDK components available to you and your end users.
Stream’s Flutter Chat SDK includes reusable UI components to build a fully functioning mobile messaging app with support for rich messages, reactions, threads, image uploads, and videos. Our Flutter Chat Tutorial teaches you how to customize the SDK to best fit your brand and user experience needs. Looking for more inspiration? Check out our step-by-step guide to building an iMessage clone.
Here’s what’s new in version 1.5.0:
- A completely overhauled UI SDK offers new widgets.
- We've refactored the SDK to consist of four discrete packages, so you can use only what you need:
- LLC (Low Level Client) – Pure Dart package to connect to Stream.
- Chat Core – Core chat functionality without any UI components or additional dependencies.
- Offline Persistence – Support for elegantly handling chat interaction when a network connection is unavailable.
- UI – User interface components to help you build your chat app faster, allowing for customization to meet your brand and use case.
- Updated repo structure using Melos.
- Updated Flutter sample apps.
This major update comes on the heels of our $38 million Series B funding round, as we double down on our commitment to provide the world’s most complete and user-friendly toolkits for chat designers and developers. We hope these improvements help you save time while building an impressive and engaging chat experience, and we can't wait to share additional projects and enhancements coming soon.