We are looking for a highly skilled VP of Engineering to lead our technical execution and objectives. Between our Feed and Chat products, Stream provides services for more than a billion end users.
What you will be doing
You will work directly with CEO and CTO and be responsible for the execution and delivery of our technical objectives. Our engineering team operates a large infrastructure deployed in 10+ regions, we build SDKs for more than 10 different platforms and the API serves traffic for over a billion end-users.
Why Join Stream as VPE
We want to become the AWS of application components, we currently power Chat and Feeds for over a billion end-users. Our API is used by applications with hundreds of millions of users.
- Large engineering team ~ 50% of the entire company is part of the engineering department
- We build and release SDK on all major platforms
- Modern tech stack: we use Golang, RocksDB, Raft
- The engineering team is very solid
- Own execution and delivery of all technical objectives
- Hiring and growing the best talent
- Lead planning, prioritization, and design of new features for API, SDK, and other tech teams
- Report directly to CTO and work closely with CEO
- Budget and organize all hiring for the engineering department
You are a VP of Engineering, CTO, or technical Co-Founder with more than 10 years of experience in software development.
As a manager, you maintain a hands-on approach and stay involved with technical challenges, you are passionate about building software and technical teams.
- Prior experience as VP of engineering, CTO, or as a technical Co-Founder
- More than 8 years of experience managing software engineering teams
- Experience managing 30+ developers
- Hired top talent and grew them under your management
- CS degree or similar/relevant experience
- Worked for more than 5 years as a software engineer
- Startup experience
- Saas & API products
- Mobile development background
Our tech stack (for dev positions / engineering dept. roles)
At Stream we use a wide collection of technologies to offer highly optimized and available features to our customers. Here is a shortlist of the technology that we currently use:
- Go, gRPC, RocksDB, Python
- Postgresql, RabbitMQ
- AWS, Puppet, CloudFormation
- Grafana, Graphite, ELK, Jaeger
- Redis, Memcached
Why join Stream?
- History of success. From Amsterdam to Boulder and Techstars in-between, Stream has raised over $58.25M to build the best Chat Messaging & Activity Feed infrastructure available, with best-in-class support.
- Freedom and endless growth opportunities. As a rapidly growing startup (since 2020 we have gone from 30 to 150 employees), Stream gives you unique personal and professional growth opportunities. The opportunity of true ownership and accountability has a massive impact on your career. These are the things you can rarely experience in huge corporations.
- Be on the front line of progress and innovation. While working with cutting-edge technology, we are passionate about tackling difficult tech problems at scale and creating reusable components for them, empowering engineering teams to ship apps faster, more securely, and with a better user experience.
- They believe in us: Stream is backed by leading VC companies (Felicis Ventures, GGV Capital, 01.Advisors, Techstars, Arthur Ventures), including backers like Dick Costolo (01 Advisors, ex-CEO of Twitter), Olivier Pomel (CEO of Datadog), Tom Preston-Werner (Co-Founder of GitHub), Nicolas Dessaigne (Co-Founder of Algolia), Johnny Boufarhat (Founder and CEO of Hopin).
- Complete location and working hours flexibility. If you prefer working from the office, working 100% remotely, combining both, or relocating to our AMS office, you have total freedom to choose what works best for you and makes you happy. We’re here to support you in being productive and feeling part of the team, no matter where you are.
What we have to offer you
Stream employees enjoy some of the best benefits in the industry:
- A team of exceptional engineers (developer positions only)
- The chance to work on OSS projects (developer positions only)
- A competitive salary
- 28 days of paid time off plus paid Dutch holidays
- Company equity
- A pension scheme
- A generous Learning and Development budget
- Commute expenses to Amsterdam covered or the option to use a company bike within the city
- Gym membership of choice covered and weekly pilates sessions in the office
- A Macbook Pro and, if necessary, a home office setup package
- Healthy team lunches and plenty of snacks
- A generous relocation package
- An office in the heart of Amsterdam or the possibility to work fully remote
- The opportunity to attend or present to global conferences and meetups
- The possibility to visit our office in Boulder, CO
Stream has a casual social culture, our team is diverse and we all have different backgrounds. Now, Stream is a team of over 130+ peers from over 35 countries across the globe.
We value transparency, aim for excellence, and support each other on our way to new victories.
Our team consists of the strongest talents worldwide, making Stream a great place to learn and improve your skills.
When it comes to software engineering, our culture is oriented towards ownership and quality: our goal is to deliver stable software.
If you are interested in becoming a part of what we do, apply now!
Stream provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
No recruiters/agencies please