Stream is looking for an experienced NLP ML Engineering Lead. This role is part of the new moderation product team at Stream, with a vision to ensure trust & safety for user generated content, making app experiences healthier for everybody. The position can be located remotely, or at our Amsterdam or Boulder offices.
What you will be doing
This is a unique opportunity to join the newly created Moderation product team at Stream. You will be leading a team of ML engineers developing NLP and ML based approaches to prevent online harms to our customers and their users. As NLP ML Engineering Lead, you will lead and define the approaches we take, manage delivery of the solutions we provide and coach our team of highly capable ML engineers.
- Mentoring: Mentor the professional development of each direct report through personal and performance management. Establish regular 1:1s with direct reports. Craft individual improvement/goal plans with each direct report and ensure that they receive regular, documented feedback.
- Planning / Alignment: Plan and collaborate with other teams at Stream in delivering impactful changes, whilst working with others in the Moderation product team for the long term.
- Provide oversight: Work with engineers to understand how everything fits together and how best to deliver meaningful impact. Understands when ML is applicable and when it is not, and what the risks are.
- Execution: Make decisions which balance between immediate impact and long-term bets, as well as managing resourcing and prioritisation and taking part in implementation.
- Relationship management: Help with managing relationships between other teams at Stream which you’ll partner with to deliver impact.
- You lead through helping others, looking to serve the team and achieve team goals.
- You have previously led a team of machine learning models for engineers and have been responsible for their professional development.
- You have prior experience as an NLP modeler/scientist/researcher and are familiar with the workflow and motivations of machine learning modelers and engineers.
- You are a coach who hires, develops and retains exceptional ML Talent.
- You have technical depth in machine learning and see the “big picture”. You understand the differences in technical disciplines (particularly on ML side), and which problems are for ML to solve and which are not.
- You are up to date with recent developments in the ML field and are familiar with current trends in the wider ML community and also preferably in Natural Language Processing.
- You have a proven execution track record that is customer-centric in prioritization - looking to deliver projects that serve the company’s needs and understand the impact.
- You are a good communicator with clear and concise, active listening and empathy skills.
- You collaborate well with teams with different backgrounds / expertise / functions.
- You bring a strong perspective that motivates engineers to develop simple, pragmatic solutions to complex problems.
- You have the technical experience to win respect from ML modelers and engineers and NLP experts and are comfortable diving into the fray to help drive resolution.
Don’t fall into all of the requirements? You don’t have to match every bullet as long as you can grow into the role and provide value to the team.
- MS or PhD in machine learning and NLP or equivalent work experience.
- 5+ years of experience as a hands-on expert-level practitioner of Natural Language Processing. You have built large scale machine learning models and systems and deployed them in production. Experience in modeling in Natural Language Processing is a must.
- Research and published peer-reviewed articles in a Machine Learning field.
What we have to offer you
Stream employees enjoy some of the best benefits in the industry:
- A team of exceptional engineers
- The chance to work on OSS projects
- A competitive salar
- 28 days paid time off plus paid Dutch holidays
- Company equity
- A pension scheme
- A generous Learning and Development budget
- Commute expenses to Amsterdam covered or option to use a company bike within the city
- Gym membership of choice covered and weekly pilates sessions in the office
- A Macbook Pro and home office setup package
- Healthy team lunches and plenty of snacks
- A generous relocation package
- An office in the heart of Amsterdam or the possibility to work fully remote
- The opportunity to attend or present to global conferences and meetups
- The possibility to visit our office in Boulder, CO
Stream has a casual social culture, our team is diverse and we all have different backgrounds. Our talented developers are highly technical and collaborative, which makes Stream a great place to learn and improve your skills. When it comes to software engineering our culture is oriented towards ownership and quality: our goal is to deliver stable software.
If you are interested in becoming a part of what we do, apply now!
Stream provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
No recruiters/agencies please